-
July 24th, 2002, 07:56 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I've got a decision to make and want a bit of advice. My head has a lot of "what-ifs" running around in it and I need some clear thoughts. See what you can do!
I currently own a '00 ITR and a '92 VX hatch. My ITR is used 6-8x a year for open track events. It use to have all the cool all-motor goodies (Toda cams, Power FC standalone, SMSP header/exhaust, etc), but I got fed up with dealing with it so I returned the car to a mild NA state of tune; intake, Spoon header, Mugen exhaust. No problem or headaches essentially! With my track experience increasing, I bought the hatch with the intent of building a Honda Challenge spec race car out of it. The car would remain street legal, but be flogged on track instead of the ITR. My plans are to prep/race the car in a lower class using the OE VX motor while I build a good NA motor for a higher class. This is where the problems start!
I've always been a fan of blowers(I have no self-control when it comes to a boost-controller), but putting a JRSC on my ITR was always out of the question. Sitting in my garage I have a '00 GSR bare block/crank, '00 bare ITR head, CTR pistons, and ITR rods. This is the start of the proposed race motor for the hatch. I know...I still need a lot of stuff to get. Here is where the plot thickens.
An ITR friend is selling his JRSC. He is an Acura-Tech and had the blower on for about 50k. I know the entire history of the blower and the maintenance schedule. He is including with the blower an Aquamist system, 7 psi pulley, JR fuel pump, & all hoses/brackets/etc. He has already sold most of the piggyback electronics, but I'll be using a HOndata & 440s anyway. He has offered to trade me the whole blower package for my Spoon header and Mugen exhaust system. (For note: I paid $700 for the slightly used header and $300 for the used catback...all legit from friends)
Here is my quesiton(s). Should I do it? I am having second thoughts about racing the hatch. While it would be fun, I'm a very competitive person and think I may go into debt trying to win. [img]tongue.gif[/img] The price is definitely right? Since I still need so many little parts for my build-up (cams, valvetrain, ECU, header, etc) I could make the right choices to begin with(lower compression, gsr cams, kami header, 3" exhaust, etc). The key thing is I must retain the ability to track the car with the blower on it. I live in the NC, so heat is a bitch in the summer on track. Figure the aquamist could help with that (along with octane, lower thermo, bigger radiator, etc). I've got another friend willing to buy my CTR pistons today, so I'll lose nothing on that deal.
Give me some advice! What would you do?
-
July 24th, 2002, 08:59 PM
#2
Inactive Member
I track my car 2-3 times/yr, and I think you know my engine setup. I have the base jrsc kit, intake, Unichip engine mangement system, kami header, 3" cat, 3" thermal. The blower has been nothing but reliable, but for belt and pulley wear and usual stuff. I haven't touched the engine to lower the compression; I've decided that the ITR cams are just fine. To deal with the extra heat thrown off by the blower, I am considering an oil cooler setup, but I'm still not convinced I need one. I raced 2 days this past weekend in 105 degree heat with absolutely no problems. My azenis gave out on me but my factory temp gauge (yeah, not the most accurate piece of equipment) didn't budge. If you run 7psi of boost, then you may want an oil cooler, etc.
I've never considered racing competitively, and the R never sees door-to-door action, only HPDE's, but that's enough for me right now. At 218whp, I find there are very few cars that can outrun me on the track with my combination of power/handling (stock suspension and azenis...but not for long), and I consider myself a very 'ok' driver.
I would look closely at your blower for reliability since it has 50K miles. I have about 30K on mine. Maybe JR offers a reconditioning service? But for the price, I don't see how you could go wrong. You seem to be on the right track with the Hondata, 440's, kami, etc. You've heard it before, but install is everything with these blowers. Just take your time and doublecheck everything. I think once you get it tuned well, I think you will be very pleased with the jrsc. With the 7psi pulley, you should make 230-240whp, which on the typeR chassis is more than enough to hold your own.
I've jumped around a lot. Let me know if I can help out.
-
July 25th, 2002, 07:28 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Debt...heat...naahhhhhh...it's all in fun...well since I am a fan of the Civic VX hatch's [img]wink.gif[/img] I would say go for it!!!...as far as the heat goes I now live in Durham/Raleigh area...but I am from Miami so I know HEAT!!...just be smart about your cooling upgrades and you will be fine...upgrade the radiator/fan/thermostat...wrap your header to keep the engine bay temps down...etc...way doable...especially with the Hondata
By the way where in NC are you??...I have been up here for a year and have not met any hardcore Honda people yet...most I see are riceboys...I am dying to get back racing...I havent done anything since I have been up here...I am swapping a JDM B16A into my VX Hatch in the next few weeks and I want to get back in the groove of things...if you want you can email me at [email protected]
-
July 26th, 2002, 12:14 AM
#4
Inactive Member
I don't know the rules for the class you hope to run in, but the blower usually throws Honda's into classes that, if someone has prepped a car to the limit of the rules, are completely beyond their capabilities.
For example, I have a cool SM (Street Mod) autocross car. A decently setup GSR with gobs of power. You'd think the car would be killer, but also legal in SM is a late 80's BMW 3 Series iS with a brand new M3 engine shoved in it and a supercharger to boot. I'm lunch!
For a non-competing car though, DO IT!!! That car would rock. Hopefully you have the stock parts lieing around.
-
July 26th, 2002, 01:02 AM
#5
Inactive Member
i agree......i loved to autox my GSR! All that power, you can reel in the vettes on the straights, but with a good tuned suspension, you can hang with the CRX's in the corners/slaloms!
I competed in SM and later on EM. Now, for one, there were hardly many in SM, and i was the ONLY "EM" car. I didnt care though, just go out and try to get FTD! Thats what i did!
Go scan through http://www.etrscca.org and check the results for STM/EM 69 TONY BOLTON 1996 ACURA INTEGRA. Youll notice im right up there!
However, this thing called "PAX" will eat you alive.......DIE PAX, DIE!!!!!!!! [img]mad.gif[/img]
Tony
-
July 26th, 2002, 10:57 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Thanks for the reply guys. I think I've decided to give it a try. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Jim - thanks again. I'm sure our talks will be on-going.
CivicR - you got mail.
Holdon - I'm not much into autox, only open track events. Sliding around a parking lot just doesn't do anything for me. HC doesn't allow any FI, so if I make this leap...I've got no car to race other than my ITR(not!).
Tony- I was at SpeedTrials with you this spring. I'm good friends with Brian, your instructor. Wish I had made it over to check out your ride, especially considering the outcome.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks